Proper strength training can help us to look better, feel better and function better. Here are 10 reasons why you should pick up your weights today and get started:
Brought to you by iVillage Total Health
1. Strength training prevents muscle loss. Adults who do not strength train lose between five to seven pounds of muscle every decade. While cardio exercise improves our cardiovascular fitness, it does not prevent the loss of muscle tissue.
2. Strength training will increase your metabolism. Research shows that adding three pounds of muscle increases our resting metabolic rate by seven percent, and ups our daily calorie requirements by 15 percent. The average adult experiences a two to five percent reduction in metabolic rate every decade of their life, so strength training can help make up for that loss.
3. Strength training will increase your muscle mass. Research shows that doing 25 minutes of strength exercise, three days a week can increase muscle mass by about three pounds over an eight-week training period. After that, muscle mass will continue to increase, but gains will differ from person to person depending on how much muscle has been lost through the years.
4. Strength training will reduce your body fat. Increasing your muscle mass will increase your calorie burn, thereby reducing the likelihood of fat accumulation. Researchers found that strength exercise produced four pounds of fat loss after three months of training, even though the subjects were eating 15 percent more calories per day.
Read more on reasons 5-10 here
5. Strength training will increase your bone mineral density.
6. Strength training will improve your glucose metabolism.
7. Strength training will speed up your digestion.
8. Strength training reduces your resting blood pressure.
9. Strength training will relieve lower back pain.
10. Strength training will reduce arthritis pain.